Thursday, May 04, 2006

"she's like the wind through my tree, she rides the next close to me"

As a courtesy to my future secret pal, here are my answers to the questionnaire. Everyone else, enjoy the rare sharing moment.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
My favorite yarns change almost every time I pick up a new project. Currently, I love RYC 4 ply Cashsoft, but I am also in love with Artyarns Supermerino. Handpainted yarns turn my crank. The only fibers I absolutely do not like are plastic-y acrylic (micro fibers and polymides are fine) and angora (because I am allergic to bunnies.)

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I use two Lantern Moon needle cases, both in coordinating orange, one for my single points and circulars and one for my double pointeds.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I'd say I'm intermediate. I've been knitting for over three years now (nearly constantly.) I've had experience with intarsia, moebius knitting, socks, sweaters, cables, scribble lace, lace, entrelac, felting, tiny needles, and very large needles. I haven't done any Iris Scherer style modular knitting nor any fair isle on a large scale. But I'm always open to trying new things and growing.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Nope, but maybe I should start one.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love gardenia and sweetpea. I like clean, single note scents.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Boy, do I ever. I totally dig on smarties. I like hyper sugary, sour stuff such as sweet tarts, lik-a-maid, sour patch kids, and crybabies. I'm drooling right now making this list.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I only spin after doing whippets. Craft wise, I like to renovate furniture, play with fimo, bead, make shrinky dinks, sew, and dye my hair.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I am mp3 compatible. As far as music, whew. Okay, I was a music major in college; I have a bachelor of arts in music, vocal performance. My tastes are so varied there's no real point in listing them all. I pretty much like anything done with heart, even if it's slightly out of tune. So that being said, here's the short list of bands I like: Twiztid, The Cure, Muse, Queens of the Stone Age, Queen, Smokey Robinson, The White Stripes, Jeff Buckley, Monserat Caballe, Alice Cooper, Etta James, Tom Jones, Insane Clown Posse, Tori Amos, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Bjork, Lamb, Blaze, Beck, Switchblade Symphony, k.d. lang, Nikka Costa, Christina Aguilerra, NOFX, Outkast, The reverend Horton Heat, PJ Harvey, Billy Idol, Mindless Self Indulgence, Abba, Dark Lotus, Eazy-E, Buddy Holly, and many, many, more.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Red is my favorite color. I like it in combination with Black or Army Green. I love striking colors, jewel tones. I'm pretty pale and I have a lot of pink in my skin so most pinks don't sit well with me, and pastels tend to not work, either.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married, no kids, one house mate. We've got two snakes, a ball python and an African sand boa. We really want a kitty but our lease doesn't allow furry pets.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves and hats; it's too warm for mittens out here. I never wear ponchos, unless it's to amuse my co-workers with how bad the thing looks on me.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like projects that can be completed in about a week. So, I dig knitting gauntlets, hats, and scarf-ish things.

13. What are you knitting right now?
A shawl, a pair of socks, a clapotis (yes I gave in,) and a baby sweater that needs some snaps.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I prefer it! I love it when somebody gives me something they made with their own hands, while thinking of me, and hoping I'll appreciate it.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circular needles are my main preference; I love me some addi turbos. For double pointeds, I like Crystal Palace Bamboo. I haven't really given plastic a chance.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I work in a yarn store, so I have access to both.

17. How did you learn to knit?
See my post from 11/18/2005 for the details.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
It's Birch from October of 2005. Not that old, eh?

19. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween, definitely. It's my wedding anniversary and the best day of the year.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
I collect vintage knitting patterns and costume jewelry.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Books and magazines I do not need. Yarn, however...anything we don't carry at commuknity! In particular, lightweight socks that rock by Blue Moon Fiber Arts in Ruby Slippers.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Fair Isle, hands down. I'd like to learn two socks on a magic loop, too. I think Fiber Trends has a booklet on it...

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I like to knit socks. My feet are about nine and a half inches long, about eight inches around the ball of my foot. My ankles are about eight inches around.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
December 6, 1977. I'm a Sagittarius born in the year of the serpent, so I'm doubly vain!

No comments: